Motors and Generators
Cheshire WA4 4BT
ABB offers the world’s widest selection of motors, generators and variable speed drives.
- Motors range from 0.06 kW to over 60 MW. They are available in low and medium voltage, in aluminum and cast iron frames, as well as with enclosures for hazardous areas. NEMA motors include general purpose (1/8 to 400 hp), severe duty (1 to 400 hp) and explosion proof (1/4 to 300 hp). A range of motors, rated from 0.37 kW to 1000 kW, are specifically designed to meet the UK’s Water Industry Mechanical and Electrical Specification (WIMES).
- Drives range from 0.12 kW to 80 MW. The ABB drive for water and wastewater, rated from 0.37 kW to 500 kW, features built-in control functions including soft pipe filling, pump auto change, redundancy, pump protection, flow calculation, multi-pump control, pump priority, sleep-boost, level control and pump cleaning. The ABB industrial drives, rated from 0.55 kW to 5,600 kW eliminate the need for an external PLC, save energy and reduce downtime.
- ABB is leading the way with the highly energy-efficient synchronous reluctance motor (SynRM) and drive package. The package includes a matched motor and drive with dedicated software and offers smooth, efficient process control and optimal use of energy. Today the SynRM motor now meets the new IE5 ultra-premium energy efficiency class, defined by the IEC. The motor offers up to 50% lower energy losses and significantly lower energy consumption than the commonly used IE2 induction motors. The package offers a more efficient, quieter and easy to maintain combination than traditional motors and drives; and at the same price point. There are very few reasons why you would avoid the SynRM as the solution to your next pump system installation.
- Now the same technology has been adapted for remote monitoring of pumps. The ABB Ability™ Smart Sensor for pumps monitors pump temperature, vibration and bearing condition – using data analytics – to prevent clogging and other issues in water applications. Using on-board algorithms, the smart sensors relay information about the motor or pump health, via a smartphone and over the internet to a secure server.
- ABB can meet requirements of international standards from around the world. All the company’s factories are certified to ISO 14001 for environmental management.
Back to Members